Regardless of the size or nature of your business, having a data backup plan in place which is followed meticulously should be a priority. As we move closer to an increasingly paper-free environment, protecting your data as well as any customer information you hold should be an essential part of your daily routine.
IT professionals Ginger IT recommend the following:
- Backup at least daily, or if possible twice a day, such as at midday and again at 6pm.
- Depending on the size of your business, backing up to a USB drive is the most common and easiest method. However, you should also consider having an off-site backup that provides a greater measure of security in the event of fire or a natural disaster.
- Cloud backup products such as Ginger IT’s ‘Desktop Backup’ provide a continuous data protection plan, losing minimal to no data should a disaster occur. Many businesses effectively use a combination of local disk and online/cloud backup to cover their bases.
- Backups should always be kept with a trusted provider, or on disks in a secure location such as a safe or a locked room. People using backup providers should ensure that the data is transferred in an encrypted medium, and encrypted using modern cryptography standards.
- A good rule of thumb when considering what data should be backed up is to include anything essential to the running of your business, as well as any information you are legally required to keep. In addition any proprietary applications and custom-designed software should be regularly backed up.
- Don’t forget to ensure that the backups have been completed successfully by routinely checking any review logs or reports provided by backup software/services – even if it is just once per month.
Really, you can’t overdo it when it comes to backing up. Although it may seem cumbersome at times or like just another unnecessary expense, the security it provides against having to rebuild your data from scratch in the event of a disaster or emergency is invaluable. Data loss is completely preventable – safeguard your data regularly and often so you can focus on running your business.
Ginger IT can be contacted on (09) 973 0727 or email email@example.com.