Update – the government has announced that the leave payment scheme will be folded into the wage subsidy scheme because most people are now in isolation under the Alert 4 lock down. Arrangements for people working in essential businesses who require sick leave due to COVID-19 are currently being worked on.
Part of the government’s $12.1 billion COVID-19 relief package targets leave payment, because self-isolation is an important way to help slow the spread of the virus. This measure will assist employers in dealing with the situation where any workers or contractors are required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days because of coronavirus.
The COVID-19 leave will be paid at a flat rate of:
- $585.80 per week for people working 20 hours or more per week.
- $350.00 per week for people working less than 20 hours per week.
Please note the following:
- As people may be required to self-isolate more than once, employers will be able to apply for this on an ‘as needed’ basis.
- The leave can be paid for the entire period an employee is sick with COVID-19 (or looking after a dependent person who is sick), but the employer must apply every 14 days.
- Employees are not required to have used any or all of their paid leave entitlements before they can receive this payment.